Inspired by programs developed in the USA, Girls Rock Camp has since become a worldwide movement. Our mission is to empower girls and women, building self-esteem and confidence by amplifying their voices through music education and performance.
Girls Rock! Brisbane (GR!BNE) is built on principles of access and equity, social action, empowerment and community spirit.
By providing a positive, female-led environment that offers musical instruction as well as a variety of workshops and performances, this program creates leadership opportunities, cultivates a supportive community of peers and mentors, and encourages social change and the development of life skills.
- …in the power of music as a means to create personal and social change;
- …that creative voices of girls and women need to be amplified to create positive approaches to fighting sexism;
- …that girls need positive role models and support for their creative endeavours;
- …in creating a community where girls support each other rather than tear each other down;
- …in empowering girls to recognise, understand, and respond to discrimination;
- …in the appropriate sharing of resources, cooperation, and collaboration;
- “Girls Rock” is more than just a slogan.
GR!BNE provides a variety of different musicians and mentors as role models, and a curriculum that is a broad introduction to the world of music. In the space of five days, participants will form their own band, learn an instrument, watch live music performances, participate in creative workshops and write an original song to be performed at our end of the week showcase.
GR!BNE depends on the hard work, advice, and support of many individual volunteers, donors and business sponsors. Volunteers are essential to both the existence and the spirit of our camps.
The inaugural session of Girls Rock! Australia was run in January 2016 in Canberra, with the first GR!BNE in September 2016. There are now Girls Rock! Camps in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Western Australia, with Wollongong coming soon.
The most recent GR!BNE was held from Monday 7 – Friday 11 January 2019 at Backbone Youth Arts, East Brisbane.
Details on the next GR!BNE will be released shortly. Stay up-to-date: sign up to receive our newsletters.
Photo on this page by Visuall Photography.